The Public Health Quality Improvement 101 (PH QI 101) program is based on the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s Breakthrough Series Learning Collaborative and was pilot tested and adapted from the well established NC Area Health Education Center and NC Hospital Association’s QI 101 program.
The PH QI 101 program is an interactive learning experience designed to help local health departments improve the quality of the services they provide to their communities. Participants use the Model for Improvement and Lean principles and tools to improve a specific area within their local agency, while receiving individualized coaching from experienced program faculty.
The overall objectives of the program are to help participants:
- Understand, select, and use QI methods and tools in their daily activities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of services provided within their agency as well as population health outcomes
- Coach others within their local setting to use QI methods and tools
- Develop a plan to incorporate QI methods and tools within their local agency so that it becomes “the way we do business”
Kickoff Meeting (1 day) - (click for more information)
Local health directors and the lead staff for each QI project, come together for a one day face-to-face session to learn about the importance of QI in public health and to discuss the role of leadership in creating a culture of continuous QI (CQI).
Pre-work Activities (2 months) - (click for more information)
During the first phase of the program, local health department teams participate in three webinars. Participants learn to choose a QI project, develop a project aim statement, and learn to use QI tools to understand the current condition of the specific issue they aim to improve.
- Workshop 1 (2 days) - (click for more information)
- Following the pre-work phase, local health department teams participate in a two-day face-to-face workshop to continue to learn QI methods and tools and develop a plan to apply the tools in their local setting.
Action Period (4 months)
Following the workshop, teams implement their QI plan and participate in an on-site rapid improvement event (a Lean Kaizen). Additionally teams collaborate and share their progress with other teams, learn about additional QI tools and methods, and receive coaching from faculty via distance learning activities and webinars.
Workshop 2 (2 days)
Following the action period, teams attend a final face-to-face workshop to celebrate and share their successes and plan for spread and sustainability of their improvements.
The PH QI 101 program is taught by a multi-disciplinary group of faculty with extensive experience leading and implementing QI initiatives. To learn more about our faculty, click here.